limited stock Fable Mountain

Jackal Bird

standard courier: 3 working days

Sold by: LKW Distributors

R 130

Ready to ship   available 60 + Sold only in multiples of 6 Bottles

750 ml (Standard)

2014


Cultivar:

49% Chenin Blanc, 21% Grenache Blanc, 17% Roussanne, 9% Chardonnay and 4% Viognier

Country:

South Africa

Rating:

95 Points - Tim Atkin

Specifications:

12.62% alc vol Sugar g/l: 3.8
Type: White Wine, White Blend Cellaring Potential: 10 yrs+
Origin: Swartland Appellation: Swartland

Tasting Notes:

Aroma’s of citrus blossoms and ripe honeyed melon on the nose. Apple, pear and peach are embellished by spicy oak and thrilling acidity. Good texture and weight on the mid palate with a saline minerality on the finish.

Pear
Pear

Citrus
Citrus

Honey
Honey

Minerality
Minerality

The grapes for the Jackal Bird are sourced from our growers and represent a variety of different vineyards and unique sites. The philosophy of the Jackal Bird is that it is the best possible white wine blend we can make from the different parcels and varieties we receive; an artisanal wine with texture and aromatic elegance from old vine Swartland vineyards

The grapes for this wine are all hand picked in the early hours of the morning and transported by refrigerated trucks to our cellar where they are processed in tiny 700kg batches in our small air bag press. All the varieties are kept separate and are treated differently depending on the desired character for the final blend. Some varieties go straight from the press tray into barrel and are fermented on solids; and others are fermented in concrete nomblots.

This wine is essentially a winemakers wine, as it is all about the blend but vineyards sites are important and we source our grapes from areas where each variety grows best. We not only get different components for the blend because of the different characteristics of the cultivars and sites but also from the winemaking techniques in the cellar. We use oxidative and reductive approaches, cold soak skin contact, and solids and clean ferments. No yeasts are ever added to any ferment and the wines spend the majority of the year on their lees. We also use a variety of vessels: 500l Oak barrels, Nomblot concrete egg tanks and some stainless steel.

12 months on lees, 70% fermented and matured in 500l oak barrels, remaining 30% fermented and aged in concrete eggs.

Food pairing

Game Fish Poultry Game Birds Charcuterie
 Selected for you 
 BEST sellers 

Reviews

0 Ratings

To rate this wine, please login

Top Comments

We recommend

HOW CAN WE ASSIST?

Port2Port is a fine wine marketplace and online wine shop; offering a vast selection of the best wines available, including rare vintages, special cases and fine spirits. Once you place your order online, we ship directly from the source, ensuring optimum cellaring conditions and guaranteed provenance.


For any order-related, product-listing or general enquiries, please feel free to contact us at 021-422-1872, e-mail help@port2port.wine or select the live chat tab in the bottom-right corner of your screen to speak directly to one of our consultants.

Wine-Searcher - Gold 2017 - Gold 2018

Port2Port Wine News

Sign-up to receive our Newsletter and join the great wine debate.